Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Past Few Days

So the past few days have gone and passed, and guess who hasn't been blogging? The new guy. I've had some legitimate excuses however. Friday afternoon I had my Ulcerative Colitis treatment. For those of you who don't know about UC, it's an autoimmune disease in which my body's immune system attacks my large intestine. It's a lot like Crohn's disease but localized to the colon. Needless to say it isn't fun.

There are varying levels of UC, and there's no current cure. Treatments help many people with flare ups and symptoms, and one can go into remission, but there's no real cure. Some barely have any symptoms. I am not one of those people. For me and many out there like me, it is a painful, embarrassing, and restricting disease. 

I also happen to be allergic to many of the treatments that are usually helpful. Because my case has been unresponsive to most other treatment options, I currently receive blood infusions every six weeks. It's inconvenient, sure and the process is long (about 3 hours per treatment) but it sure beats the alternative. I'm happy to say that after about 2 and a half years of tinkering with meds and med schedules, and changing up my diet significantly, I'm doing a bit better. I'm nowhere near remission yet, but I at least don't feel like my life is controlled by UC.


After my treatment I headed back up to school. Saturday was Saint Patrick's Day, and so of course I celebrated. I attended my friend Felicia's dance show with some other friends, and after that we went out. I didn't drink anything actually Irish, cause let's face it, I'm broke. But we still had an extremely fun night. 



Today (Sunday) was loaded with school work, but what else is new?

Heading into the week, my goal for myself is to take time to make someone who's having a bad day have a better one. You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment